Hed Phad Prik Thai Dum - stir-fried mushrooms with black pepper.
Blue Elephant Cooking School and Restaurant
I learned how to make Hed Phad Prik Thai Dum at the Blue Elephant Cooking School and Restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand.
The dish is called stir-fried mushrooms with black pepper in English, and it was delicious! Not everyone likes coriander. If you're like me, you can always leave it out.
It was one of four dishes that I learned how to make in a half-day culinary course in Royal Thai cookery at the popular cooking school.
The course included a trip to a nearby wet market to source ingredients and a gourmet lunch that the students prepared themselves in the class.
Ingredients for Paste
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 stem lemongrass (bottom half, sliced)
- 1 root coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Ingredients for Stir-frying
- 120 grams Erngi mushrooms (sliced into bite size)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoon vegetable stock
- 3 - 4 stems coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 leaf kaffir lime (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon mushroom sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese whisky
- 1/2 stm lemongrass (crushed the deep-fried)
- 2 - 3 steam coriander leaves
- Tempura flour
Note: roughly pound the lemongrass to make fluffy chunks. Squeeze the juice out. Light coast with tempura flour before deep frying it. Deep-fry in vegetable oil until it turns golden brown and set aside.
- Pound garic, coriander root, lemongrass, and black pepper into a paste in a mortar
- Add vegetable oil, and paste from the mortar into a wok on medium heat and stir-fry until an aroma develops
- Add sliced Eryngi mushrooms and cook well
- Add some stock and finely sliced kaffir leaves
- Season with musthroom sauce, light soya sauce, sugar, and Chinese whiskey; stir well
- Add finely chopped coriander leaf; turn off heat
- Transfer to a serving dish; top with deep fried crispy lemongrass and coriander leaves
Want to Know More?
- Click HERE for the next recipe!
- Click HERE for a detailed personal account of the course with LOTS of photos!
Blue Elephant Cooking School and Restaurant - 233 South Sathorn Road, Yannawa, Bangkok, Thailand. Tel: (66) 2-673-9353-8.