American style chocolate chip cookies.
I learned how to make American style Chocolate Chip Cookies at the Media Launch of Dockyard in Kowloon's Hung Hom district in Hong Kong.
So what is it that makes American style Chocolate Chip Cookies special? They should be chewy and not brittle! The chocolate should be slightly melted. And they should have a slightly crunchy crust.
The following recipe is from CookieBoy. And these are a couple of the key points I remember from the demonstration: dark brown sugar is the "secret ingredient": it's what makes the cookies chewy.
Don't over-mix the batter. Three minutes is enough. It doesn't need to be perfectly smooth (you want some texture).
Always use the best possible ingredients.
Always let the batter rest in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- 2-1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- All ingredients should be at room temperature
- Stir cream, butter, and sugar on medium to high speed for 3 minutes (make sure the sugar crystals are dissolved with the butter while adding air to the fat molecules in the butter)
- With mixer running on low speed, gradually add eggs. When eggs are incorporated, scrape down the sides of the bowl, mix on medium to high speed for 20 seconds to ensure perfect emulsion
- Sift your flour and baking soda together
- Add to the mix slowly. Until you have 75% of the dry ingredients incorporated, add chocolate chunks and finish mixing
- Chill your dough for 6 hours (preferably overnigh)
- Bake cookies at 160 degrees Celsius for 14 minutes
- Use good quality butter, dark brown sugar, and dark chocolate are preferable
- Double mixing time (step 2) for flat and crispy cookies
- Blend eggs together (step 3) first for better emulsion
- Baking soda will affect the spread of the cookies. Less baking soda will result in thicker cookies, more baking soda will result in thinner cookies
- Bake cookies from a chilled temperature so that they won’t break easily
Recipe courtesy of CookieBoy. Tel: (852) 9666-7309.