Updated for the 2017 NFL season.: the 10 most popular Houston Texan sports bars in Texas and 10 of the top spots where Texan fans congregate on game day outside Texas. Please comment on bars and add your own recommendations. Photos of fans at sports bars welcome!
First there were the Dallas Texans. They moved to Kansas City and became the Kansas City Chiefs. Then there were the Houston Oilers. They moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and became the Tennessee Oilers. Not much oil in Tennessee. So they were re-named the Tennessee Titans.
When Houston, Texas, was granted an expansion franchise in the National Football League, logically the team should have been called the Houston Oilers – except that the name Oilers still belonged to Bud Adams, owner of the Tennessee Titans.
Following an online survey, it was decided to name the team the Houston Texans, which should not be confused with the Dallas Texans!
Remember? They moved to Kansas City. Dallas, meanwhile, soon after losing the Texans, got another franchise, which were christened the Dallas Cowboys . . .
All of which sort of drives me crazy. I think that if a franchise moves cities, the team's name, mascot, colours, and legacy should remain with the city.
An entirely new identity should be created in the team's new home.
Whatever . . .
Where to Root for the Houston Texans in Texas
The following sports bars are considered to be friendly to fans of the Houston Texans. Some of them are full fledged team hangouts.
Bars close and fans migrate to other establishments. Sometimes bars decide to broadcast other events. So always call ahead to make sure the bar is going to broadcast the game you want to watch.
- Coaches Pub Midtown - 2204 Louisiana Street, Houston, Texas. Telephone: (713) 751-1970.
- Providence - 1308 West 20th, Houston, Texas. Telephone: (713) 869-1656.
- Revelry on Richmond - 1613 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas. Telephone: (832) 538-0724.
- The Gorgeous Gael Irish Bar - Rice Village, 5555 Morningside Drive, Houston, Texas. Telephone: (832) 667-8321.
- Lucky's Pub - 801 St. Emanuel Street, Houston, Texas. Telephone: (713) 522-2010.
- Christian's Tailgate Bar and Grill - 2820 White Oak Drive, Houston, Texas. Telephone: (713) 229-8449.
- J. Black's - 710 West 6th Street, Austin, Texas. Telephone: (512) 433-6954.
- Maggie Maes - 323 East 6th Street, Austin, Texas. Telephone: (512) 478-8541.
- Brew Exchange - 706 West 6th Street, Austin, Texas. Telephone: (512) 366-5727.
- Buffalo Wings and Rings - 203 North Loop 2604 West, San Antonio, Texas. Telephone: (210) 403-9464.
Where to Root for the Houston Texans Out of State
While not necessarily exclusive Houston Texan hangouts, the following sports bars often attract Texan fans on game day. But always call ahead to make sure the game with will broadcast!
- Society Sports and Spirits - 1434 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (720) 465-9830. "The owner is a fanatical Texans fan."
- Idle Hands Bar - 25 Avenue B, downstairs, New York, New York. Telephone: (917) 338-7090.
- Hill Country - 30 West 26th Street, New York, New York. Telephone: (2120 255-4544.
- Sports Column - 1930 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 296-1930.
- Barney's Beanery - 8447 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, California. Telephone: (323) 654-2287.
- Daily Bar and Grill - 4560 North Lincoln, Chicago, Illinois. Telephone: (773) 561-6198.
- City Tap House - 901 - I Street Northwest, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 644-9433.
- Cabin - 1750 Polk Street, San Francisco, California. Telephone: (415) 549-7111.
- Texas Craft Dining - 7779 Lyles Lane, Concord, North Carolina. Telephone: (704) 510-0021.
Your Input Wanted
Please leave comments on these establishments and/or recommend other sports bars friendly to Houston Texan fans in the COMMENT box below.
Also, would love to liven up this post with some fan shots. Please send photos of Texans fans at sports bars to the Accidental Travel Writer for inclusion in this post.
If You Are Planning a Trip to Houston ...