First there were the Baltimore Colts. The Baltimore Colts were an All-America Football Conference franchise from 1947 to 1949 and a National Football League franchise in 1950.
It was disbanded after the 1950 season. A new football team, also called the Baltimore Colts, was an National Football League franchise from 1953 to 1983. The team was relocated to Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1984.
Edgar Allen Poe
The move was highly controversial, causing outrage in Cleveland, Ohio. It was decided to create a new identity for the team so that the Cleveland Browns legacy could remain with the city of Clevelend.
A new football franchise was established in Cleveland, and it was named the Cleveland Browns.
After relocating to Baltimore, Maryland, the team was renamed the Baltimore Ravens in honour of Edgar Allen Poe, who lived for a time in Baltimore and died and was buried there in 1849. Poe's most famous poem was entitled The Raven.
The Baltimore Ravens have been highly successful in their brief history. They have made the playoffs eight times since 2000, winning the American Football Conference North three times in 2003, 2006, and 2011.
Best Sports Bars to Root for the Baltimore Ravens
- Mother's Grille - 1113 Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland. Telephone: (410) 244-8686.
- Mad River Bar & Grill - 1110 South Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland. Telephone: (410) 727-2333.
- Alonso's Loco Hombre - 413 - 415 West Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, Maryland. Telephone: (410) 235-3433.
- Looney's Pub - 2900 O-Donnel Street, Baltimore, Maryland. Telephone: (4100 803-7080.
- Rock Bottom - 4238 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, Virginia. Telephone: (703) 516-7688.
- The Parlor - 7250 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, California. Telephone: (323) 930-2100.
- Wharf Bar & Grill - 587 - 3rd Avenue, New York, New York. Telephone: (212) 490-7272.
- Hooters of Santa Monica - 321 Santa Monica Boulevard, Santa Monica, California. Telephone: (310) 458-7555.
- The Upper Decks - 301 Barton Springs Road, Austin, Texas. Telephone: (512) 291-2686.
- Chopper's Sports Grill - 80 South Madison Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 399-4448.
- Kirby's Grillin' & Chillin' - Plaza LaMer Shopping Center, 841 Donald Ross Road, Juno Beach, Florida. Telephone: (561) 627-8000.
Hey, thanks for adding the Austin group to your list. We have a great group. We haven't met at The Tavern since last year, though. We're now at Upper Decks, 301 Barton Springs Rd. Can you update that? Thanks, Aaron Brazell (via email).
Consider it updated, Aaron! And a sincere thank you for the head's up! If you have any fan pictures, we'd love to see them. - the Accidental Travel Writer.
. . . . . . . . . .
Kirbys in Juno Beach, FL, is one of the largest groups of Ravens fans outside Baltimore. Even the owner of the Ravens who lives seasonally in Jupiter comes to hang at Kirby's! On gameday 50-200 ravens fans will gather depending on the time of year. We had a road trip this year to Miami and had over 1000 people at our tailgate and party the night before. - James Rouse (via email - more at Florida Flock South Fla and Facebook/Florida Flock)
Sounds awesome, James, and thanks very much for the feedback. We've amended the listing. Do you have any fan shots you can contribute? - Accidental Travel Writer.
Your Feedback Wanted
Bars sometimes close and fans sometimes migrate to other establishments. Please send any corrections or additions to the Accidental Travel Writer or leave a comment in the comment box below.