Updated for the 2017 NFL season. The 10 most popular Cardinals sports bars in Arizona and 10 of the top spots where Cardinals fans congregate on game day in other parts of the country. Please comment on bars and add your own recommendations. Photos of fans at sports bars welcome!
The Cardinals are the oldest continuously run professional football team in the United States, but they didn't always play in Arizona. And they weren't founded in St. Louis - their last home - either.
A charter member of the National Football League, the Arizona Cardinals were originally known as the Chicago Cardinals, one of two American football teams representing the Windy City, the other being the Chicago Bears.
Unable to compete with the Bears, the Chicago Cardinals relocated to St Louis, Missouri, in 1960, where they were sometimes confused with the St Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball.
Surely, St Louis is the only city in the history of professional sports to have had teams in two different sports with the same mascot!
Wait a minute! What about New York? Didn't New York have two teams called the Giants, the New York Giants of the National Football League and the New York Giants of Major League Baseball?
The New York Giants of Major League Baseball moved to the West Coast in 1957 and were re-christened the San Francisco Giants. But I digress ... The Cardinals football team moved to Phoenix, Arizona, before the 1988 football season and were rechristened the Arizona Cardinals. They play in Glendale, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix.
The team holds one of the football league's least enviable records. They have suffered the longest championship drought in league history.
The team won the league championship only twice, both times in Chicago: 1925 and 1947. Could the 2017 NFL season be their year?
Where to Root for the Cardinals in Arizona
The following sports bars are considered to be friendly to fans of the Arizona Cardinals. Some of them are full fledged team hangouts.
Bars close and fans migrate to other establishments. Sometimes bars decide to broadcast other events. So always call ahead to make sure the bar is going to broadcast the game you want to watch.
- Santisi Brothers Pizzeria and Sports Grill - 2710 Bell Road, Phoenix, Arizona. Telephone: (602) 789-7979.
- Big Daddy's Sports Lounge - 10618 North Cave Road, Phoenix, Arizona. Telephone: (602) 861-1034.
- Caps Sports Grill - 1721 West Rose Garden Lane, Phoenix, Arizona. Telephone: (623) 434-1950.
- Tee Pee Mexican Restaurant - 4144 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, Arizona. Telephone: (602) 956-0178.
- Connolly's Sports Grill - 2605 West Carefree Drive, Phoenix, Arizona. Telephone: (623) 879-5997.
- Half Moon Sports Grill - 288 East Greenway Parkway, Phoenix, Arizona. Telephone: (602) 993-6600.
- Coach and Willies - 1 East Boston Street, Chandler, Arizona. Telephone: (480) 776-06240.
- Majorie’s Sports Grill – 3095 West Chandler Blvd, Chandler, Arizona. Telephone: (480) 899-7999.
- CK's Tavern and Grill - 4142 East Chandler Blvd, Ahwatukee, Arizona. Telephone: (480) 706-5564.
- Zipps Sports Grill – 211 East Warner Road Suite 103, Gilbert, Arizona. Telephone: (480) 539-1600. "We do have 12 valley locations which are Cardinal fan friendly!"
Where to Root for the Cardinals in Other Parts of the Country
Football teams based in cities with cold winters usually have large national followings because their supporters often relocate to cities with warmer climates while remaining loyal to their hometown's teams.
With its warm climate, Arizona tends to attract more people than it repels, so it is harder to find hard-core Cardinals bars in other parts of the country. But there IS at least one exception. There is a bona fide Arizona Cardinals bar in San Diego!
While not exclusively Cardinals hangouts, the other sports bars listed below tend to attract Cardinals fans on game day. But always call ahead to make sure the game you want to watch will be broadcast!
- Coaster Bar and Grill - 744 Ventura Place, Mission Beach, California. Telephone: (858) 488-4438. "We're an Arizona Cardinals bar!"
- Foley’s NY Pub and Restaurant – 18 West 33rd Street, New York, New York. Telephone: (212) 290-0080.
- Big Wang’s Hollywood – 1562 North Cahuenga Blvd, Hollywood, California. Telephone: (323) 469-2449.
- Frankie’s Sports Bar and Grill – 425 West 3rd Street, Fort Worth, Texas. Telephone: (817) 870-9090.
- McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon – Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (215) 952-0300.
- Tin Roof Cantina – 2591 Briarcliff Road, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 223-9200.
- The Greatest Bar – 262 Friend Street, Boston, Massachusetts. Telephone: (617) 367-0544.
- The Brick Yard – 1787 Union Street, San Francisco, California. Telephone: (415) 400-4712
- Franks and Nics – 511 West Pratt Street, New York, New York. Telephone: (410) 685-6800.
- Sports Column – 1930 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 296-1930.
Your Input Wanted
Please leave comments on these establishments and/or recommend other sports bars friendly to the Arizona Cardinals fans in the COMMENT box below.
Also, would love to liven up this post with some fan shots. Please send photos of Cardinals fans at sports bars to the Accidental Travel Writer for inclusion.
This post contains affiliate links.