Originally published on 10 August 2012, this post might be a bit dated - and some of the information might have changed. But it remains the most popular post ever published by the Accidental Travel Writer.
Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, once said that if the United States had a national baseball team, it was the New York Yankees. And if it had a national football team, it was the Oakland Raiders.
And I swear that I heard that with my very own ears – yes, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys actually said that!
Jerry made the statement during a pre-game interview when he was asked to comment on the Raiders return to Oakland in 1995 following their 13 year road trip in Los Angeles.
The Raiders do, in fact, have fans all over the place, not just throughout the United States, but also around the world. While most of the best sports bars to watch the Raiders play are located in California, they are spread as far and wide as Arizona, DC, New York, Nevada, Texas, and Virginia
Top 10 Sports Bars to Watch the Raiders Play
If you can't attend a game in person at the Black Hole, a.k.a. the Oakland Coliseum, here are the Top 10 sports bars to watch the Oakland Raiders play.
- Killarney Pub and Grill 209 Main Street, Huntington Beach, California Tel: (714) 536 7887.
- Rickys Sports Theater and Grill 15028 Hesperian Blvd, San Leandro, California Tel: (510) 352 0200 Website: Rickys Sports Theater and Grill. Located in the heart of Oakland Raiders territory, and rated by Sports Illustrated magazine as the second best sports bar in the United States, this place SHOULD be number one, but we were swayed by Killarney Pub and Grill's killer website. I know that Ricky and his wife Tina are die hard Oakland Raider fans, and this is the number one hangout for the Raider Nation in Northern California.
- Peter Dillon's 140 East 40th Street, New York, NY Tel: (212) 213 3998. The new home of Black Hole East. New York might have two football teams – the New York Giants and the New York Jets – but there are more than a few Oakland Raider fans in the Big Apple, and this is their hangout.
- Yankee Doodles 2830 Tapo Street, Simi Valley, California Tel: (805) 526 1130
- The Ugly Mug 723 8th Street SE, Washington, DC Tel: (202) 547 8459 The Ugly Mug
- Shiftys Cocktail Lounge 3805 West Sahara Avenue, Las Vegas, Nevada Tel: (702) 871 4952
- The Original Steakhouse and Sports Theatre 4179 Merchant Plaza,Woodbridge, Virginia Tel: (703) 580 0033
- R.T. O'Sullivan's Sports Grill 6646 Superstition Springs, Mesa, Arizona Tel: (480) 396 9933.
- Star Gazer Club 33 Broadway, Chula Vista, California Tel: (619) 425 7306
- Players Billiards and Night Club 4024 Dyer Street, El Paso, Texas Tel: (915) 565 7665