Food + Beverage
There’s more to Mexican food than the tacos and enchiladas, burritos and tostadas that find favour North of the Border. Here are the 10 most popular Mexican restaurants SOUTH of the Border!
From fine-dining restaurants serving haute cuisine to humble stands vending mouth-watering street food, Mexico City offers foodies an endless array of options.
You will find eateries serving the seafood of Puerto Vallarta, the tropical tastes of Costalegre, and the Ensenada cuisine of Baja California, which blends Mexican, Mediterranean, and Asian influences . . . the list goes on.
You won’t go hungry in the Mexican capital.
Forget what the food critics have to say. Here’s a short-list of some of the most popular Mexican restaurants in Mexico City - with diners!
- Restaurante El Cardenal - 70 Juarez Avenue, Hilton Hotel, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook
The best Mexican food whatsoever! Good service, the owner is always there taking care of what is needed. Good price, excellent atmosphere! - Gloria Manzur, Mexico City. Mexico.
- Contramar – Durango 200, Col. Roma Norte, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook - Instagram
The place is very well located near the Cibeles Plaza. Seafood Mexican style. Kitchen is impressive. The informal flair makes it very attractive. Reservations highly recommended. – Serch07, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Agua y Sal Cebicheria - Campos Elíseos 199-A, Miguel Hidalgo, Polanco, Polanco IV Secc, 1156, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter
This is a small restaurant with great food, it worth to go and try all the different type of ceviches. – Mayito Loiza, Vera Cruz, Mexico.
- Limosneros Café de Tacuba - Allende 3, Centro Historico, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter – Instagram
A very beautiful place in downtown. With good atmosphere and great service. Not a cheap place that it's worthy if you enjoy eating non typical ingredients with a Mexican style. You will find a menu with original plates and amazing presentation of all of them. It's worthy to try "Escamoles" (ant eggs) that are amazingly prepared with handmade tortillas. – Ousk, Mexico City, Mexico.
- La Casa de Tono Zona Rosa - Londres 144, Zona Rosa, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter
We ordered, having the sizes of portions in mind that we were used from other Mexican restaurants. This turned out to be a mistake: we definitely were not able to finish what we had ordered (although the waiter already suggested to leave out some items, which we did). The food was really good, but you would only get the "normal" Mexican dishes (from pozoles to flautas, sopes to enchiladas), nothing fancy. – Klaus S, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Hacienda de los Morales - Vazquez de Mella 525, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter – Instagram
The place is a beautiful old building from the 1600's located in what now is the heart of Polanco. It is ideal for big groups as it has private rooms for special events. The menu is somewhat limited and 100% Mexican; however, the food is very good and it has a very nice bar area. – Daneil R., Mexico City, Mexico.
- Pujol, Ciudad de Mexico - Calle Francisco Petrarca 254, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter – Instagram
If you are looking for a place with a totally different experience in the overall sense experience this is the right place, the food is delicious with Mexican ingredients, it's not the typical Mexican food, but it is full of creativity, imagination and enhancing Mexican flavors. – Monsel06, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Quintonil - Newton 55, Polanco, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter
We ordered the sampling menu. I can say the food is extraordinary! All the dishes have great flavor and you get surprised by how they can achieve some dishes. That being said, from my point of view, it shouldn't be only about the food. The place doesn't have any charm, it is cold, the furniture is too simple, the lighting is very low (bad managed led lighting), it doesn't invite you to stay for long and the place doesn't make you feel like you are in a top restaurant. – Salosm, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Balcon del Zocalo Restaurante - Av. 5 de Mayo 61, Delegación Cuauhtémoc, Col. Centro, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter – Google+
An amazing discovery just in the heart of Mexico City. The place, interior design, food, and service makes this place one of the best in Mexico City. – Mariano Eguiarte, Mexico City, Mexico.
- La Capital - Avenida Nuevo Leon 137, Hipódromo Condesa, Mexico City, Mexico. Social Media: Facebook – Twitter – Instagram – Google+
We each ordered mescal drinks and were not disappointed. Our appetizer of guacamole with pomegranate seeds was enough for four people to share. Each of us ordered something different - two different steaks, crab empanadas with mole and??? All of us were impressed with the quality of the food and portions. – RegD 1945, Merida, Mexico.