San Francisco 49ers home games are played at Levi Stadium, which is actually 45 miles south of the City by the Bay. So where should fans attending games at the stadium stay? It depends on a variety of factors …
Levi’s Stadium is 45 miles south of San Francisco and 10 miles northwest of San Jose. When choosing a hotel, football fans should consider this: do they just want to go to the game, or do they also want to do some sightseeing (and/or partying) while they are in Northern California?
American football fans travelling any distance to attend a game at Levi Stadium will probably want to spend at least 2 nights in a hotel, preferably 3 nights in a hotel.
Visiting football fans will have to decide whether they want to stay at a hotel near Levi’s Stadium or at a hotel in San Francisco.
What out-of-staters might not realize is that Levi’s Stadium is actually closer to San Jose than it is to San Francisco. I mean MUCH closer!
I’m talking 10 miles northwest of San Jose (with a streetcar line that goes straight from San Jose International Airport to the stadium) vs 45 miles south of San Francisco (or 31.5 miles south of San Francisco International Airport).
Surely you have heard of California’s legendary traffic!!! And what about the weather??? San Francisco and the South Bay have completely different climates!!!
Game Only or Sightseeing Trip?
If you want to go only to the game and get into and out of Northern California as quickly as possible, San Jose International Airport is your airport of choice.
And you would want to stay at a hotel as close to Levi’s Stadium as possible (a top 10 list follows).
If you’ve got kids and might want to spend another day, California’s Great America is within 2 miles of Levi’s Stadium. So there ARE some things you could do in the vicinity before or after the game.
And I will be posting some other things you can do in San Jose and environs (in a future post) …
But to be honest, as someone that grew up in Northern California, I offer this advice: if you’ve got the time to spend a few days – and the money – I think you’d rather stay at a hotel in San Francisco. This is, after all, one of America's top party cities.
But more on that in a future post. For those wanting to be as close to the stadium as possible, here is a top 10 list – and the first two hotels are within walking distance!
Hotels Closest to Levi’s Stadium
- Hilton Santa Clara - 4949 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, California; 0.3 miles from Levi’s Stadium, which is within WALKING DISTANCE; 4 stars.
- Hyatt Regency Santa Clara - 5101 Great American Parkway, Santa Clara, California; 0.3 miles from Levi’s Stadium, which is WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE; 4 stars.
- Avatar Hotel, a Joi de Vivre Hotel - 4200 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, California; 0.9 miles from Levi’s Stadium; 3 stars.
- Santa Clara Marriott - 2700 Mission College Boulevard, Santa Clara, California; 0.9 miles from Levi’s Stadium; 3-1/2 stars.
- Extended Stay America San Jose – Santa Clara - 2131 Gold Street, San Jose, California; 1.1 miles from Levi’s Stadium; 2-1/2 stars.
- Hyatt House San Jose/Silicon Valley - 75 Headquarters Drive, San Jose: 1.3 miles from Levi’s Stadium; 3 stars.
- The Plaza Suites Silicon Valley - 3100 Lakeside Drive, Santa Clara, California; miles for Levi’s Stadium; 3 stars.
- Biltmore Hotel and Suites - 2151 Laurelwood Road, Santa Clara, California; 1.4 miles from Levi’s Stadium; 3 stars.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Silicon Valley Sunnyvale - 750 Lakeway Drive, Sunnyvale, California; 1.5 miles from Levi’s Stadium: 3 stars.
- Ramada Sunnyvale/Silicon Valley - 1217 Wildwood Avenue, Sunnyvale, California; 1.5 miles from Levi’s Stadium; 2-1/2 stars.
For information only. Please double check facts with the hotels themselves. Distance from hotels to the stadium is based on 49er Webzone.com.
Where to Eat
San Francisco is one of the world's greatest cities for foodies. Whether you're hankering after Chinese, Italian, Mexican, or Thai, you'll be spoiled for choice in the City by the Bay.
And what about California Cuisine? Northern California was the birthplace of the Farm to Table Movement.
Why not give California Cuisine a try?
Where you decide to dine, will be partially determined by where you decide to stay.
To find the perfect place to eat at ...
- Browse San Francisco restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor>>
- Browse Santa Clara restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor>>
- Browse San Jose restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor>>
How to Get There
The San Francisco Bay Area has three major international airports. The most convenient airport will depend on the following factors ...
If you are planning to fly in and out the same day as the game or if you are planning to stay near the stadium, San Jose International Airport would be the best option.
If you are planning to stay on the Peninsula, San Francisco International Airport would be the best option.
If you are planning to stay in downtown San Francisco, either Oakland International Airport or San Francisco International Airport would do. Both airports are served by Bay Area Rapid Transit, a.k.a. BART.
Check schedules and fares here ...
- Dallas to San Jose Cheap Flights>>
- Dallas to San Francisco Cheap Flights>>
- Dallas to Oakland Cheap Flights>>