Father's Day was traditionally celebrated on 15 June in the United States. Now it is celebrated on the 3rd Sunday of June. It will be celebrated on 19 June in 2016.
Father's Day was first celebrated in Spokane, Washington, in 1910.It was established to complement Mother's Day, which is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of May.
Schoolchildren often make gifts for their fathers or other important male role models in their lives. Retailers promote Father's Day cards and masculine gifts such as after shave lotion, power tools, and consumer electronics.
A sampling of quotes about fathers by famous people follows.
- “It is a wise child that knows his own father.” - Homer
- “It is a wise father that knows his own children.” - Shakespeare
- “It is a wise child that knows its own father, and an unusual one that unreservedly approves of him." - Mark Twain
- “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” - Henry Ward Beecher
- "Fathers are biological necessities, but social accidents." - Margaret Mead
- "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection.” - Sigmund Freud
- "Sometimes the poorest man leaves his children the richest inheritance." - Ruth E. Renkel
- "My father was often angry when I was most like him." - Lillian Hellman
- "My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." - Clarence B. Kelland
- “None of you can ever be proud enough of being the child of such a Father who has not his equal in this world - so great, so good, so faultless. Try, all of you, to follow in his footsteps and don't be discouraged, for to be really in everything like him none of you, I am sure, will ever be. Try, therefore, to be like him in some points, and you will have acquired a great deal.” - Queen Victoria
You Might Also Enjoy Reading ...